Print This Story Print This Story Email This Story Email This Story

Kitchen fire prompts evacuation of Green Street Plaza senior center

More than fifty residents at a Rock Hill Senior center were evacuated from their homes Friday afternoon after a fire erupted in a second floor apartment at the Green Street Plaza.

54 senior citizens live inside the facility, complex manager Shelly Risk said.

Risk said the fire erupted as a result of a resident cooking in a second floor unit. Emergency sprinklers automatically activated, quickly dousing the flames, but left behind hundreds of gallons of water that quickly seeped into two units below.

Risk could not estimate any monetary damage to the building, but did say that crews were cleaning the floors below.

“The majority of the damage is water damage from the sprinkler system,” Risk said. A resident was cooking a meal on the stove at the time.

The incident prompted a number of nearby residents to gather outside the facility as fire crews cleared the building.

There were no injuries reported in the incident.

Comments are closed.